Apps 4 EFL
Fight the Fakes
Pirate or Pilot
ER Level Check
Text to Flash
Text to Test
Support Apps 4 EFL!
Japan Inc Pay System (BBC)
1. How old is Takato Oku?
2. Why does he feel frustrated in the corporate world?
Because his boss always expect him to arrive early in the morning.
Because he won't be promoted and offered a higher salary any time soon.
Because the company just announced there were major lay offs.
Because he was moved to the other department which he didn't like.
3. What is Japan's traditional salary system?
It is mandatory for companies to promote entry-level employees after a year.
The employees who have been in the company the longest are the ones who will get promotion and higher salary first.
Japanese corporate pay system offers more opportunities for the young workers.
Companies reward employees based on their productivity.
4. How long has the age-based salary system existed in Japan?
more than half a century
less than a decade
exactly a decade
more than a century
5. What kind of company does Takato Oku currently work for?
food & beverage distribution company
semi-conductor manufacturing company
online media and advertising firm
6. How long did it take for him to be promoted in his current company?
7. What is Cyber Agent's salary system based on?
based on performance
based on number of business trips abroad
based on seniority
based on age
8. According to the report, what is Cyber Agent trying to promote in their current pay system?
more business trips
more elderly job applicants
more vacation days
9. Why were Japanese companies able to keep raising salaries for all the workers during the economic boom?
Because the government implemented a policy.
Because they could afford it.
Because there was a low number of workers at that time.
10. What might happen to companies that adopt a performance-based pay system?
It will result in lower salaries for fresh university graduates.
It will create more jobs.
It will guarantee lifelong employment.
It could create unhealthy competition and inequality among workers.
What is a "performance" or "merit" based promotion system?
What is an "age" or "seniority" based promotion system?
Which is better: performance (merit) or seniority (age) based promotion?
How would you feel if your manager was younger than you?
What is the best way to measure performance?
Do performance (merit) based promotion systems promote unhealthy competition amongst coworkers?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of lifelong employment?
Please wait a moment...