Apps 4 EFL
Fight the Fakes
Pirate or Pilot
ER Level Check
Text to Test
Text to Flash
Info for teachers
Support Apps 4 EFL!
Seaweed Harvesters (BBC)
1. What food are the fishermen in Futtsu searching for?
2. How many hours do fishermen spend in harvesting raw materials for nori?
half an hour
3. What do you call seaweed in Japanese?
4. How much do seaweed processing machines cost?
5. What kind of food products do these machines make?
6. What kind of organisations benefit most from Abenomics?
7. How long has Mr. Nakazawa been in the seaweed harvesting business?
8. How much was the sales tax when Mr. Nakazawa started selling nori products?
There was no sales tax.
9. What is the current sales tax rate in Japan?
There is no sales tax.
10. What is the reason behind Prime Minister Abe's plan to raise the sales tax to 10%?
The government needs more funds for the aging population.
Raising sales tax will help to deal with Japan's debt crisis.
The government needs more money to build infrastructure.
What are the most popular foods in Japan? Can you name at least three?
Do you like Japanese food? If yes, what is your favourite?
What kinds of food are commonly eaten in your country?
In Japan, dried seaweed sheets or nori is a staple food. In your opinion, do you think other countries and cultures should also try seaweeds as part of their diet? Why?
Do you believe that in order for a country to be more developed and avoid debt, the government should collect more taxes? Why or why not?
Do you believe that the rich should pay more taxes than people who have average income? Why or why not?
What would happen if a country did not a have tax system?
How is your country's current sales tax rate compared to other countries?
Should the government impose high taxes on luxury goods?
How do you think the government is spending the revenue from taxes? Do you support it?
Please wait a moment...