Apps 4 EFL
Fight the Fakes
Pirate or Pilot
ER Level Check
Text to Flash
Text to Test
Support Apps 4 EFL!
Our natural sleep cycle is nothing like what we do now (TED)
1. Under what conditions did life evolve?
Under conditions of love and hate
Under conditions of good and evil
Under conditions of light and darkness
Under conditions of wealth and poverty
2. What did plants and animals develop?
3. What will a horseshoe crab do in a sloped cage?
Run down the slope as the tide is rising
Run up the slope as the tide is rising
4. What do humans call their internal clocks?
5. When you shut people into a hole for a few months, what kind of experience do they have?
6. What time did people put into the hole get up every day?
15 minutes later than the day before
15 minutes earlier than the day before
7. As a species, where did humans evolve?
Near the equator
Near the North Pole
All across the globe
Near the South Pole
8. What kind of daily schedule did we evolve to cope with?
10 hours of daylight followed by 14 hours of darkness
12 hours of daylight followed by 12 hours of darkness
24 hours of daylight
14 hours of daylight followed by 10 hours of darkness
24 hours of darkness
9. Which culture has been traditionally "highly seasonal"?
The western aboriginal culture
The northern aboriginal culture
The southern aboriginal culture
The eastern aboriginal culture
10. According to the presenter, what is the ideal human sleeping pattern?
Sleep from 8pm until midnight and again from 2am until sunrise
Sleep from 8am until midday and again from 2pm until sunset
Sleep from 9pm until 7am
Sleep from 10pm until midnight and again from 3am until sunrise
11. What happens between midnight and 2am?
There is an increase in prolactin
There is a decrease in adrenaline
Toluene remains the same
There is a drop in cortisol
12. What do the people in the experiments realize?
They are regretting volunteering for the experiment
They are experiencing what it's like to be truly awake for the first time
They are confused about their internal body clocks
They are hoping to return to their regular time schedules
13. Which of the following is NOT mentioned by the presenter as an aspect of modern day living?
What time do you generally go to bed? Why?
What time do you generally get up? Why?
Do you think you get enough sleep? Why or why not?
How much sleep should we get in order to stay happy and healthy? Why?
Do you generally feel sleepy or awake during the day?
Do you ever take a nap during the day? If so, where and how long? If not, why not?
Have you ever experienced jet-lag? If so, how did it feel? If not, what do you know about this condition?
Have you ever worked a late night or early morning shift? If so, how did this affect you? If not, would you be willing to do shift work?
What do you know about the Arctic? Can you tell your partner 3 facts?
What countries do you know that are on or near the equator? Can you name 3?
Please wait a moment...