Apps 4 EFL
Fight the Fakes
Pirate or Pilot
ER Level Check
Text to Flash
Text to Test
Support Apps 4 EFL!
Why do languages die? (Economist)
1. What does "irankarapte" mean?
2. How many languages are spoken in the world today?
More than 8000
More than 9000
More than 7000
More than 10000
3. What percentage of those languages are in danger of extinction?
4. What happened to Latin?
It gradually became a part of other languages
It is still spoken widely today
5. When does a language truly "die"?
When the last elderly speaker dies
When the community starts to speak English
When the language merges with other languages
When it is only used by a handful of people
6. Which of the following languages is in "serious trouble"
7. Which of the following languages "came back from the dead"?
8. What is a good thing it its own right?
9. Who said "Every language is a temple in which the soul of those who speak it is enshrined"?
Oliver Wendell Holmes
H. H. Holmes
10. Which of the following groups is NOT mentioned as "facing pressure" to use Mandarin?
Can you name ten different languages?
Can you say "hello" in five different languages?
Can you count to ten in three different languages?
How many languages can you speak fluently?
How many languages would you like to speak fluently?
Do you know any different varieties of your own country's language?
Why is it important to learn another language?
What are the most important languages to learn? How about the least important?
What makes a language important or unimportant?
When you travel to a foreign country, is it important to speak the local language? Why or why not?
Please wait a moment...